[Gllug] Voluntary work

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Fri Nov 14 14:15:11 UTC 2003

In message <3FB4D245.3000509 at uncertainty.org.uk>, Sean Burlington
<sean at uncertainty.org.uk> writes
>Bernard Peek wrote:
>> In message <p0521060cbbda4fd54ee5@[192.168.216.2]>, Gordon Joly
>><gordon.joly at pobox.com> writes
>>

>>> Samba 3.x outperforms Windows Server 2003 by 50%, reported elsewhere.
>>   Yes, that's the sort of argument I was getting tired of. I
>>understood  the argument and accepted that as a fact. It still didn't
>>justify  putting in a Linux system.
>>  I had one web server. If I needed to add 50% more horsepower I could
>>have installed Linux. Or I could buy another server. The cost of a new
>>server was approximately the same as my daily charge-out rate. So if
>>it  took me more than a day to learn and install Linux and copy the
>>web-site  across then I couldn't justify it.
>
>I agree that simple performance may not always be a compelling argument
>- but...
>
>a lot of MS stuff really doesn't work very well
>
>Notably Outlook/Exchange for email

I looked at Exchange and Outlook and decided that there were better
options. I picked NTMail and Turnpike. Both very good at what they do,
essentially bug-free, easy to run and bombproof. I rejected Exchange
because of the support overheads and Outlook because of the security
risks.

Facing the same decision again I might choose a Linux solution or
Exchange and Outlook 2003. It's not a clear choice. Exchange and Outlook
have fixed most of the problems.

>I certainly find Word harder to use than Open Office (even though I
>have used Word more)
>
>FrontPage/IIS are just plain demented
>
>and yet these things are still popular

They are easy to use and get the job done.

>The really odd thing is that people seem to decide if they find
>software easy to use within a few seconds of looking at it (maybe this
>means KDE have the right approach)

That's true. There's enough commonality between Windows programs that
experienced users can understand a new program by browsing through the
menu options. It's quite reasonable for users to expect to learn a new
program in minutes.

That background learning doesn't help as much when they first look at X
applications. But now there are people who are starting with X
applications under Linux and they find Windows applications confusing.

>and in my experience the maintenance of *nix systems is so much less
>time consuming it's silly
>
>text config files mean the system is almost self documenting (compare
>that to trying to keep word docs full of screen grabs)

I've never felt the need for screen grabs. Given that most Windows
programs are themselves self-documenting I would only use a manual as a
last resort. My opinion is that if a program can't be used without a
manual then it's not good enough. It hasn't reached version 1.0 level.

>> In fact I went away and learned Linux on my own time. Installing a
>>Linux  server didn't become economically viable until I had spent
>>perhaps  £50,000 worth of my own time on it.
>>

>wow - you turned down 50k to learn linux - that's dedication !

No, that's what my time would have cost if I had been charging for it.

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk