[Gllug] Voluntary work

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Nov 14 14:46:12 UTC 2003

Bernard Peek wrote:
> In message <3FB4D245.3000509 at uncertainty.org.uk>, Sean Burlington
> <sean at uncertainty.org.uk> writes
>
>> Bernard Peek wrote:
>>

> Facing the same decision again I might choose a Linux solution or
> Exchange and Outlook 2003. It's not a clear choice. Exchange and Outlook
> have fixed most of the problems.

yes but then you have to spen £50 000 worth of time learning how to use
the new versions (and even at charity rates the licenses for these
products are not insignificant)

>> I certainly find Word harder to use than Open Office (even though I
>> have used Word more)
>>
>> FrontPage/IIS are just plain demented
>>
>> and yet these things are still popular
>

> They are easy to use and get the job done.

In my experience they are hard to use and don't do the job.

>> The really odd thing is that people seem to decide if they find
>> software easy to use within a few seconds of looking at it (maybe this
>> means KDE have the right approach)
>

> That's true. There's enough commonality between Windows programs that
> experienced users can understand a new program by browsing through the
> menu options. It's quite reasonable for users to expect to learn a new
> program in minutes.

Well that depends on what you mean by 'learn' - my  feeling is that
people judge on the first few minutes - and refuse to re-evaluate later
whe they may have foung the product be be actually quite hard to use.

> That background learning doesn't help as much when they first look at X
> applications. But now there are people who are starting with X
> applications under Linux and they find Windows applications confusing.

I don't think X is so different - most aps have the same options on the
menu.

>> and in my experience the maintenance of *nix systems is so much less
>> time consuming it's silly
>>
>> text config files mean the system is almost self documenting (compare
>> that to trying to keep word docs full of screen grabs)
>

> I've never felt the need for screen grabs. Given that most Windows
> programs are themselves self-documenting I would only use a manual as a
> last resort. My opinion is that if a program can't be used without a
> manual then it's not good enough. It hasn't reached version 1.0 level.

It's not the program itself I'm refering to here - it's keeping track of
your own config changes.

and I don't agree with you about the usefulness of manuals.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk