[Gllug] Finally some mainstream coverage of EUCD

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Nov 10 20:26:57 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> AFAIK homebrew music CDs will be covered by the same dispensations as tape
> recording - you can make copies for personal use, not for distribution.

That was already illegal. The 1988 Act (Copyright Designs and Patents Act)
clearly states that any copying other than that specifically allowed in
the Act is unlawful and there is nothing indicating personal use copies
are allowed.

The reason this hasn't been an issue previously is simply that it's not
feasable to chase individuals due to difficulties identifying people.

What's changed now though is that people are tracable - when they use the
'net or DRM'd materials that require a call-home to activate.

> There was a major debate back in the early 70s when cassette recording was
> seen as a copyright infringement.  The record companies were firmly slapped
> down when they demanded a levy on blank tapes!

In many countries they do have blank media levies and there are increasing
moves to introduce them here as well.

Given how much influence the large media companies have with the current
govt. it would not surprise me to see a new Regulation for this.

> There will just be the usual period of bluster from the record companies, then
> everything will be as before!

I think you are very wrong. We're already seeing case law to support a
different approach - the PS2 modchip case was just one such.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   1Mb ADSL Broadband - just £27.50 / month
                            + Free Activation on all ADSL services

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk