[Gllug] Finally some mainstream coverage of EUCD

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 00:04:41 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 20:26, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>
> > AFAIK homebrew music CDs will be covered by the same dispensations as tape
> > recording - you can make copies for personal use, not for distribution.
>
> That was already illegal. The 1988 Act (Copyright Designs and Patents Act)
> clearly states that any copying other than that specifically allowed in
> the Act is unlawful and there is nothing indicating personal use copies
> are allowed.

Yes - we don't have much in the way of "fair use" provisions here.
Ripping a CD and creating mp3 files for use on a portable player, *even
when you own the CD* is technically legal.

> The reason this hasn't been an issue previously is simply that it's not
> feasable to chase individuals due to difficulties identifying people.
>
> What's changed now though is that people are tracable - when they use the
> 'net or DRM'd materials that require a call-home to activate.

DRM has thus far been something the public have shown unwilling to
swallow. However, things like iTunes are the beginning of a slippery
slope. Thankfully, corrupted audio CDs have not been accepted yet, but
even after numerous debacles with so called copy-protection
technologies, the studios are *still* trying to ram it down our throats.

> > There was a major debate back in the early 70s when cassette recording was
> > seen as a copyright infringement.  The record companies were firmly slapped
> > down when they demanded a levy on blank tapes!
>
> In many countries they do have blank media levies and there are increasing
> moves to introduce them here as well.
>
> Given how much influence the large media companies have with the current
> govt. it would not surprise me to see a new Regulation for this.

I actually think that blank media levies are unlikely - the copyright
cartels see total control within their grasp, and are going for much
bigger fish. They want end to end encryption of all digital content,
from media to final playback. Encrypted audio right to the speakers if
possible. Their biggest problem is getting people to get rid of their
existing equipment. SACD was all about selling people DRM capable media
to replace their CDs.

> > There will just be the usual period of bluster from the record companies, then
> > everything will be as before!
>
> I think you are very wrong. We're already seeing case law to support a
> different approach - the PS2 modchip case was just one such.

It's certainly worse this time around. Technology isputting controls
into media companies hands which they've never been able to approach
before.

In 5 years, if the RIAA/MPAA/BFPI have their way, we'll all be running
Longhorn, content will all be encrypted, the hardware will be
tamper-proofed with Palladium, disks will have the CPRM stuff thats in
them already turned on, and the open PC architecture will be dead.

I actually think that the single biggest threat to that plan is Linux
getting enough of a foothold on the desktop to stop it being possible to
lock everything down. The time from now until the release of Longhorn
may well be the most critical period in the PC industry.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk