[Gllug] Routers and more importantly, Javascript

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 14:11:41 UTC 2003

Nix wrote:
>If you're
>using PPP half bridging or something like that (full bridging is
>unlikely unless you really like playing with PPPoA) the router will ARP
>for every address on the Internet, so every packet the firewall sends
>out will get sent to the router and sent on to the net at large (well,
>to the immediate upstream gateway on BT's net, at least).

That's most interesting - you learn something new every day !

Naturally, no info with the router to say that's what it does, or at least
if there is it is buried somehow.   By the way, am I the only person to hate
CD-Rom 'manuals' - especially in PDF form.  Trying to 'thumb through' them is
a pain and you go blind trying to read of the screen; thus forcing loads of
print-outs.  Call me a dinosaur; but I prefer good old fashioned books.

CHANGE OF SUBJECT:-

Finally, whilst on the subject of books, I am looking for a good book on
'javascript'  (at least I think that's what I need !).   The problem is that
we have some web forms that drive CGI responses which require multiple input
and ideally should be validated in some way before submission by the client
browser.  At present the from is submitted, unvalidated and the server has to
send back the appropriate 'you have not filled in fields x,y,z' response.
I believe that javascript embedded in the web form can do some validation,
but I have never used it and completely ignorant.  Thus if somebody can
suggest a good book from personal expereince I should be grateful   (or any
other suggestion).  I have the O'Reilly HTML book and some others by them -
they generally seem pretty good.

tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk