[Gllug] Routers and more importantly, Javascript

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Nov 18 21:23:16 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, t. clarke stipulated:
> Nix wrote:
>>If you're
>>using PPP half bridging or something like that (full bridging is
>>unlikely unless you really like playing with PPPoA) the router will ARP
>>for every address on the Internet, so every packet the firewall sends
>>out will get sent to the router and sent on to the net at large (well,
>>to the immediate upstream gateway on BT's net, at least).
>
> That's most interesting - you learn something new every day !
>
> Naturally, no info with the router to say that's what it does, or at least

Of course not. There is info in the manual of some Conexant-based ADSL
routers to say that `only one computer can access the Internet' while
this is happening, which is of course purest tosh: it's just that your
machine has to do the NATting.

I could rant at *length* about the agony involved in getting this to
actually bloody work (particularly in the presence of line drops) on
said Conexant-based routers (specifically the Dabs Value router, but
the same problems exist on the lot as far as I can tell).

--- but it can be done. I've done it here. :)

--
`Me, I want exploding spaceships and pulverized worlds and clashes of
 billion-year-old empires *and* competently written sentences.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk