[Gllug] [OT] Largest mailbox EVER!

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Tue Nov 18 11:27:11 UTC 2003

In message <Pine.LNX.4.58.0311181027570.26519 at bluedragon.homelinux.net>,
Peter Childs <blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk> writes

>> In the past I've found it useful to draw up some basic
>> "permitted use" guidelines and have them distributed as an addendum to
>> peoples terms of employment. Doing this at the outset means that you get
>> management approval and you're able to enforce the limits.
>>

>       The problem is the "guys at the top" usally want excemption and in
>a small place usally get it. When usally they are the worst offenders

The only thing that will bind a Director is a decision of the board. So
you need to speak directly to the board and get a decision made and
recorded in the minutes. You need to put together a package of rules
covering all of the stuff you need decided. Get it in front of the
board. Ask them to accept it as a code of practise that applies to
everyone. Ask them to agree to be an example to the rest of the company.
It's important to ask them all together, not individually. They won't
want to lose face in front of the other directors.

It won't stop all of the abuse but it will help.

Above all don't get sucked into applying technical fixes to cover other
people's management failures.

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk