[Gllug] [OT] Largest mailbox EVER!

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Tue Nov 18 10:37:24 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Peter Childs wrote:

> > This is why it is really important to ensure the necessary user education
> > *before* widespread deployment of such systems.
>
> 	Question again HOW?

By setting the limits and letting people know what they are when you start
out.

If people know that they should not attach large files or send large
attachments to groups and what the likely consequences of doing so will be
they are less likely to do so.

If you have well established user policies you'll be more free to
implement those limits in the technology.

> You can educate people to send emails in the
> correct way as much as you like. But they will still wish to send that
> huge jpeg from there digital camara unless the digital camara software
> will properly compress the jpeg or the program to do so is easily found
> and used. The problem in my case was because jpeg is already compressed in
> as much as zip can't do any more the email still cloged up outlook express
> before it even tried to leave the building. The problem ended up being
> recompress the jpeg with a better compression ratio but how became a real
> problem.

If they know that sending such files is not permitted and wont work due to
imposed limits they will look for alternatives.

Where there is a genuine business reason to be sending them you should be
offering a technical solution to enable doing so.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   1Mb ADSL Broadband - just £27.50 / month
                            + Free Activation on all ADSL services

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk