[Gllug] Voluntary work

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Nov 14 12:41:56 UTC 2003

Phil wrote:
> Ian,
>      Cheers for that. A lot of the stuff up there is web monkeying. I doubt
> any AIX will show up. However I have seen at least one C/C++ thing up there
> which if I can get, will enable me to pass it off as "Commercial
> experience".
>
> - Phil

I went to a 'matchmaking' event - and found loads of projects much more
interesting in reality than they were on paper

a lot of the project specs had been written by people who had no IT
skills but still tried to write the spec in technical terms (apparently
this is common in the legal arena too !)

The result was that people wrote a list a required skills - that just
happened to be the stuff they had heard of - so I'd suggest interpreting
MS Access - generic db skills needed
ASP scripting - they want some kind of dynamic website
Exchange admin skills -  they need a mail server
etc

Certainly in the areas I was looking at (databse/web) - people were very
open to suggestion as to the appropriate technology.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk