[Gllug] Wireless cards see each other, but I can't get them to ping

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann TSCHUTZER-WEISSMANN at ofsted.gov.uk
Tue Nov 11 10:04:37 UTC 2003

I'm trying to make a simple ad-hoc wireless network. One PC has an in-built card, the other has a PCMCIA card.
If I set the essid, channel and mode of the PCI card, then when I start the PCMCIA card syslog will show it sees the other card. All I need to do is set the right mode and essid, and syslog will report "Join command succesfully completed". iwconfig will report the same cell for both cards, andI think I'm home.

Then,
ifconfig eth0 192.68.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
and
ifconfig eth0 192.68.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
respectively, and try pinging, but the hosts are always unreachable :(

Can anyone help?
Regards,
Tom SW

We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage
sustained as a result of software viruses. It is your
responsibility to carry out such virus checking as is necessary before opening any attachment to
this message.

The information in this email and any files transmitted with
it may be of a confidential nature and is intended solely for
the addressees. If you are not the intended addressee, any
disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and
may be unlawful.

www.ofsted.gov.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk