[Gllug] Wireless cards see each other, but I can't get them to ping

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 15:35:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:

> I'm trying to make a simple ad-hoc wireless network. One PC has an in-built card, the other has a PCMCIA card.
> If I set the essid, channel and mode of the PCI card, then when I start the PCMCIA card syslog will show it sees the other card.
All I need to do is set the right mode and essid, and syslog will report "Join command succesfully completed".
iwconfig will report the same cell for both cards, andI think I'm home.

> Then,
> ifconfig eth0 192.68.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
> and
> ifconfig eth0 192.68.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
> respectively, and try pinging, but the hosts are always unreachable :(
>
> Can anyone help?
> Regards,
> Tom SW

 First, you forgot to mention the cards you are talking about?
 If any of them is a 802.11g, good luck!

 The sequence in which the configuration commands are issued it's
 important.

 Myself.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk