[Gllug] Voluntary work

Harry Mantheakis harry at mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 22:37:52 UTC 2003

> Why? I (as many on this list probably know) am keen on free software,
> but at work we run Office 97. It was paid for years before OpenOffice
> was viable, and the staff are all familiar with it. There is *no*
> incentive for us to change at this point.

Yes, of course, I have to agree with you on that point. I was thinking of
companies faced with additional expenditure, for more licenses, updates,
whatever.

I am also a great believer in the 20:80 rule: 80% of the time we only use
20% of the features (in bloatware).

If that 20% can be identified and implemented well, then I think an
application stands a good chance of being adopted.

Easier said than done, of course :-)

Regards

Harry Mantheakis

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk