[Gllug] broadband DNS etc

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 10:30:50 UTC 2003

Wendy Carr asked about static IP address on broadband and DNS.

It may be that how your configure the static IP address depends on the router.

I am currently using a Netgear DM602 with a fixed IP address, which the
ISP assigns at logon via DHCP.  The router then NAT's everything to a 192.168.0.
address; so the box talking to it has its ethernet interface assigned to
192.168.0.2 and its default route assigned to 192.168.0.1  (the internal-facing
IP address of the router).  The scheme works fine for outgoing connections,
but does not allow, in its basic form, any incoming connections which I gather
is what is required.   It may be that you will need to configure one static IP
address to the router and another to the ethernet card on your box.
Unless I am mistaken, the router must have an IP address (either an internal
one or otherwise) to which you assign the default route, otherwise the PC
cannot determine the ethernet MAC address of the router to send IP packets to
(bad grammar, I know!).

With regard to DNS, with my router at least, you can either set /etc/resolv.conf
to specify the router's IP address as the dns server (I think the router then
simply passes on the enquiries to the ISP's servers it has been told about as
part of the logon process), or set it to localhost and use your own nameserver
which will do its own recursive name look-ups.   Using the router's nameserver
is supposedly preferred, as it cuts down the packets flying back and forth
over your ADSL link !

Wiser heads may be able to amplify/correct the above !!

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk