[Gllug] Hard drive spindown

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Wed Nov 12 10:30:26 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Richard Jones announce to the hordes:

> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 04:16:47PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> > On Thu, 06 Nov 2003, Martin A. Brooks yowled:
> > > You'll need to use noflushd.
> > And mount things with noatime (particularly whatever fs /dev is on).
>
> Unfortunately it seems that noflushd is incompatible with journaling
> filesystems (I'm using ext3), so it looks like there is no solution to
> my problem.

Spin down might not be a good idea anyway. OK, it'll reduce power
consumption, but hard disks like to keep moving. You reduce their life
expectancy everytime you spin up/spin down due to the stresses involved in
acceleration and extra load on the electronic components.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk