[Gllug] Voluntary work

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Nov 13 12:31:31 UTC 2003

On Thu 13 Nov, itsbruce at uklinux.net bloviated thus:

> Don't forget that Linux (and most Open Source software) requires a
> higher level of skills from those who would manage it effectively.  Many
> charities simply don't employ IT staff with those skills (or the spare
> time or even the ability to acquire them).

One of Microsoft's key selling points is that they have the same (or
very similar) interface on all their OS products.  That means a
manager looks at a Windows server and immediately thinks "it looks
just like my desktop.  I could manage it if necessary."  We all know
this is untrue, but it's what happens in real life.

An incremental process is a better approach.  Start by replacing a
service at a time.  Leave your dreams of the entire organisation
migrating to Linux desktops for another day.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

I've got nothing against any Viet Cong.

- Muhammed Ali in refusing to register for the draft

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk