[Gllug] Lets cookie! Or rather not.

formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 00:12:57 UTC 2003

 Hi guys,

 About 3 weeks ago I installed privoxy on my laptop, it's been running without a problem,
 and this morning I noticed the size of the jarfile. That is where it discards the cookies.

 The size of it looked a bit big, 367KB, so I had a look at it. It seems same web servers
 fall over themselves sending you the little nuisances, in one case 59 in 7 seconds.

 If each of them were 2KB and I were using dial-up, that could be considered a DOS attack.

 So I compiled a little table with the worst offenders, if you wonder about trouble-dick
 being absent, it's because privoxy is quite good handling the few it gets.
 I have blocked their main ip blocks on the firewall, :-)

 I don't know, in a few years one might have to wear "rubbers" on one's hands every time
 one tries the jungle-net. This plus the spam, and their main cause(1) seem to be making
 the profit-net a very un-friendly place. (UPS!! I did it again).

 (1) I shall not get started talking about c$$$ism.

 (2) Scary thought of the day: DRM + cookies.

 (3) For those speed-junkies out there, you know new hardware has a lot more than you want,
     one day you will have to give up your addiction or face the tune.
     Me$$ has the main chip makers at IT. Start getting used to the idea.

--
 Formi
 FreeBSD 4.9 ThinkPad 570            Study the past, if you would fear