[Gllug] [OT] Largest mailbox EVER!

Ian Scott mriscott at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 10:11:15 UTC 2003

We have an even better game here.

We all work on thin clients (Windows Terminal Services - don't ask), with the
office PC in a data center in London, and all us users in St Albans.

Our system sends out error emails when running an overnight process.  These
contain things like errors from xml files uploaded by users, and can get pretty
big (I think the record is around 2 Gb).

So, someone tries to open one of these emails, and it all has to travel from
London to St Albans down our puny ADSL connection. Obviously this takes a
while. The real giggle is that this takes all the available bandwidth, so
there's none left for things like keyboard input, screen refresh, etc for the
rest of us!

We get the same problem with printing big fat word documents too!

Needless to say, we're in the process of beefing up our connection, and
making printers and keyboards and monitors have dedicated connections.

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk