[Gllug] 9.2 Postfix 2.0.13, Patching.....

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Tue Nov 25 11:46:31 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Kristian Davies announce to the hordes:

> Hi,
>
> I installed Postfix from the Mandrake 9.2 cds (ver 2.0.13), and since going
> to the
> postfix website i note they are at patch level 2.0.16. So i need to apply
> .14/.15 and
> .16.
>
> How do i do this? (=which file do i point it at? do i have to install each
> patch or are they accumulative?)

When you get more than one patch behind, it's better to just upgrade anyway,
afaic. As it's mandrake, see if there's an upgraded rpm on their site first.
They might have the newest there. Try using urpmi.

> Do i have to download the source, becuase when i run "patch < patch.14" i
> get "which file do you want to update?" (it's looking for mail_version.h)
> Now i know that i dont have that file because i installed from rpm, not
> source...

Yes. In linux, we tend to patch source and then recompile rather than break
everything in sight with binary patching (like wot microsoft does).

Overall though, check for an rpm of .16 before worrying about source
compilation. If you can't find the rpm, download the source of the latest
version rather than installing the distro's source and applying 3 patches.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk