[Gllug] 9.2 Postfix 2.0.13, Patching.....

Simon Morris simon.morris at westbourne-terrace.com
Tue Nov 25 11:41:11 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 11:11, Kristian Davies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Postfix from the Mandrake 9.2 cds (ver 2.0.13), and since going
> to the
> postfix website i note they are at patch level 2.0.16. So i need to apply
> .14/.15 and
> .16.
>
> How do i do this? (=which file do i point it at? do i have to install each
> patch or are they accumulative?)
>
> Do i have to download the source, becuase when i run "patch < patch.14" i
> get "which file do you want to update?" (it's looking for mail_version.h)
> Now i know that i dont have that file because i installed from rpm, not
> source...
>
> So.... erm.... help.... Google seems to be no help.
>
> Cheers,
> Kristian

Are you patching in response to a security problem in your current
version, or a major bugfix?

If not, and the version you have is safe to use then it is easier to
stick with the current packaged version you have.

Debian has a security updates system with apt-get update which gets any
critical fixes and I guess Mandrake has the same.

When Mandrake has a new version they would probably release a later
version of the code.

FWIW, you would normally patch the source code and rebuild, which is why
its easier to managed packaged binary files

SM

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk