[Gllug] Voluntary work

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Fri Nov 14 12:33:01 UTC 2003

In message <p0521060cbbda4fd54ee5@[192.168.216.2]>, Gordon Joly
<gordon.joly at pobox.com> writes

>>What offices need is a system that has all of the advantages of
>>Windows in addition to the advantages of Linux.
>

>Indeed. That is very realistic.
>
>>When I was running an all Windows site I got a little tired of people
>>telling me that Linux was so much better. They kept telling me that
>>Linux was more efficient. What they meant was that it used fewer
>>processor cycles. I didn't care because processor-cycles are cheap. It
>>was cheaper for me to buy another Windows server than to spend time
>>thinking about Linux.
>

>Samba 3.x outperforms Windows Server 2003 by 50%, reported elsewhere.

Yes, that's the sort of argument I was getting tired of. I understood
the argument and accepted that as a fact. It still didn't justify
putting in a Linux system.

I had one web server. If I needed to add 50% more horsepower I could
have installed Linux. Or I could buy another server. The cost of a new
server was approximately the same as my daily charge-out rate. So if it
took me more than a day to learn and install Linux and copy the web-site
across then I couldn't justify it.

In fact I went away and learned Linux on my own time. Installing a Linux
server didn't become economically viable until I had spent perhaps
£50,000 worth of my own time on it.

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk