[Gllug] Routers and more importantly, Javascript

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Nov 18 21:26:39 UTC 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, t. clarke mused:
> Finally, whilst on the subject of books, I am looking for a good book on
> 'javascript'  (at least I think that's what I need !).   The problem is that

If you can learn by inhaling specifications, look up the ECMAScript
spec.  That's how I learned. (Probably learning Self first helped, as
ECMAScript/JavaScript is basically a deformed web-browser-specific Self
with a somewhat more C-like grammar.)

> we have some web forms that drive CGI responses which require multiple input
> and ideally should be validated in some way before submission by the client
> browser.  At present the from is submitted, unvalidated and the server has to
> send back the appropriate 'you have not filled in fields x,y,z' response.

This is the *only* reliable way to do it.

> I believe that javascript embedded in the web form can do some validation,

You can do some and mention it to the user, but you *still* have to do
it on the server because the JS is client-side, need not be run, and
nothing client-side should be trusted anyway, so you end up with
doubled-up code in different languages: a recipe for rapid maintenance
divergence and bugs.

--
`Me, I want exploding spaceships and pulverized worlds and clashes of
 billion-year-old empires *and* competently written sentences.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk