[Gllug] Wireless cards see each other, but I can't get them toping

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 16:34:03 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Andy Farnsworth wrote:

> I know you don't want to hear this, but I have found that working with a
> known working system as a test base is much easier than grasping in the
> dark.  That said, do you have either of these machines running windows and
> using the cards?  If so, keep it in windows and get the other working under
> Linux and talking to the working one.  Once you have done that, reboot into
> Linux and it should be fairly simple to get them working together.  Windows
> isn't pretty and I don't like it any better than you, however, it is the
> supported platform for the wireless cards to work on.
>
> Andy

  I don't know you but I have seen various winblows versions leave cards
 in an unkown state. And when you boot into *nix you find things don't
 work. It seems that at least on laptops you have to stop the card, and
 not just shut the system down.

 It can be frustating, but as I said sometimes you find the right
 configuration by trying different sequences. OpenBSD and FreeBSD seem
 to be quite good at handling pcmcia cards. I have 2 silver orinocos,
 a cisco 350 and a sitecom wn-pcg01. The latest one works like a charm
 on both BSDs in host-ap mode.

 That means clients only need to have configured the type of wep
 encryption and the key.

 It migth be worth to try using knoppix. And see what happens...

 Formi.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk