[Gllug] Graphics cards + open source or contributed drivers?

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Nov 12 11:54:02 UTC 2003

Chris Bell writes:

>   A while ago there seemed to be some graphics cards with contributed
>drivers which were thought to perform at least as well as, if not better
>than, graphics cards with open source drivers. Any views on the current
>situation please?

My view is that you're best off sticking with cards with open source
drivers. This is not just a knee jerk reaction (although it is that too),
but also a pragmatic decision. I know far too many people that have had
kernel stability problems with the Nvidia drivers. My advice would be
to stick with a current gen - 1 ATI card. It'll still get you more than
enough FPS, and is well supported by XFree86.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk