[Gllug] re: disk spin-up/down

abower at thebowery.co.uk abower at thebowery.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 11:21:23 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:03:32AM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> I would endorse the view of keeping the discs running at all times.
> We have had scsi discs running 24/7 for years without problems.

IBM recently had some different thoughts on 24/7 for a certain model of IDE
disk http://hardware.earthweb.com/chips/article.php/995321 but I do agree that
keeping disks running does seem to keep them working longer, could be worth
checking manufacturers recommendations before purchase in future.

I did note the other day that the 80 meg hard disk in my Amiga 1200 still works
though despite having lots of power on/off cycles and runs really quietly....

One other thing was I sent back my IBM deathstar (can't remember which model
but it was one of the really dodgy ones) to Hitachi/IBM the other week for the
3rd or 4th in warranty replacment and they sent me back a completely different
type/model of disk. I hope this disk last a bit longer than the 7 or 8 months
the last ones have.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem