[Gllug] Voluntary work

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Thu Nov 13 14:16:28 UTC 2003

In message <20031113123131.GA1952 at rumble.net>, Rev Simon Rumble
<simon at rumble.net> writes
>On Thu 13 Nov, itsbruce at uklinux.net bloviated thus:
>
>> Don't forget that Linux (and most Open Source software) requires a
>> higher level of skills from those who would manage it effectively.  Many
>> charities simply don't employ IT staff with those skills (or the spare
>> time or even the ability to acquire them).
>
>One of Microsoft's key selling points is that they have the same (or
>very similar) interface on all their OS products.  That means a
>manager looks at a Windows server and immediately thinks "it looks
>just like my desktop.  I could manage it if necessary."  We all know
>this is untrue, but it's what happens in real life.

Microsoft's biggest advantage is that to a large extent anyone who can
manage a desktop system reasonably well can also manage a server. Not
efficiently perhaps but if you throw enough processor cycles at the
problem that's not important. That's why there are so many small servers
running their database systems.

That consistency is one of the biggest advantages and Linux isn't going
to replace Windows without matching it. Webmin looks like a good
starting point, but is it possible to build a desktop system with Webmin
as the only management interface?

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk