[Gllug] [Fwd: Server]

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Nov 23 14:38:26 UTC 2003

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 02:15:35PM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Also bear in mind that SCSI electronics are much better than IDE for
> servers with lots of disks (no siginificant per disk CPU loading like
> you get with IDE).

I'm assuming you're talking about ancient IDE disks running in PIO
mode? These days both do DMA, both are command driven, and, heck, both
use similar logical block addressing structures.

I'm betting that manufacturers are probably using exactly the same
electronics, and just changing the firmware and connector/IO side.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
MAKE+ is a sane replacement for GNU autoconf/automake. One script compiles,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk