[Gllug] [Fwd: Server]

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 16:00:39 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 14:38, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 02:15:35PM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> > Also bear in mind that SCSI electronics are much better than IDE for
> > servers with lots of disks (no siginificant per disk CPU loading like
> > you get with IDE).
>
> I'm assuming you're talking about ancient IDE disks running in PIO
> mode?

Even modern disks in UDMA5 mode have a higher load on the host CPU than
SCSI disks.

>  These days both do DMA, both are command driven, and, heck, both
> use similar logical block addressing structures.

There's a large debate about "which is better" here that I don't intend
to get into in any depth, as it can go on for ages. That said, I do feel
the need to stick my oar in to a small degree :-). There's an
interesting article about one person's experience here:-

http://hardware.devchannel.org/hardwarechannel/03/10/20/1953249.shtml

This isn't really a scientific test, but the followup threads are worth
reading, and show both sides of the argument.

> I'm betting that manufacturers are probably using exactly the same
> electronics, and just changing the firmware and connector/IO side.

I think the differences are significantly greater than that. A few real
world considerations that come to mind:-

* Tagged Command Queuing is still not that common in IDE drives, and I
think I remember reading the linux implementation had a few problems
with TCQ on IDE drives.

* The IDE bus isn't even close to U320 performance, which is an issue
with multi drive systems.

* The 2 drive/channel limit on IDE is significant for servers.

* Real world SCSI controllers for servers are far higher spec than
available IDE ones.

* Sustained data transfer is excellent on IDE due to high areal
densities, but SCSI disks usually outperform on the workloads that
typical servers perform.

* The highest performance drives are only available with a SCSI
interface. To the best of my knowledge, you still can't get 15000rpm and
8Mb cache on and IDE disk.

* Operating characteristics of SCSI drives tend to show higher MTBF and
higher operational temperatures. Looking at Seagate's website, the
Cheetah SCSI disks are listed with a 1,200,000 hr MTBF - the ultra ATA
100 drive data sheet doesn't even list MTBF.

Comparing a single IDE drive to a single SCSI drive does tend to flag
SCSI as more expensive, for little advantage. When you're building
redundant servers with >5 drives though, and you're looking for a
storage system, not just a drive, the story is different. That's why
when you buy a 1000ukp PC it comes with an IDE drive, and when you buy a
10,000ukp high end server, it comes with SCSI. If the OEMs genuinely
believed there was no difference, your 10,000ukp server would have IDE,
and they'd have bigger profit margins...

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk