[Gllug] OT: Health on job applications

abower at thebowery.co.uk abower at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 09:39:51 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:30:49AM +0000, Peter Childs wrote:

> 	Most employers will give you the benifit of the doult to start
> with especally if you've owned up. So long as you do your best, Maybe a
> job application is not the best place to put health problems but its
> always a good idea once you get to the contract stage.

Have you seen how many people apply for jobs in the current climate? If you
know of any employers who think like this let me know as I am currently looking
for a new job.

> 	There is a differece between keeping them informed and taking the
> biscuit.
> 	If you do have health problems keep your boss informed and if you
> can show that you are doing your best by working from home (so you don't
> spread germs) or working overtime (before/afterwards)

I have found keeping them informed only makes things worse, as they try and
pressure you to come back earlier.

> 	I've got Diabetes and I will tend to tell people. Better that they
> know than that they find out later when you calapse on them.
> 	Oh and the government will also give them more money for employing
> people with disabilities....

Disabilities != ill, these are two very different things, a doctor will not
write you off as disabled just because you have a crap immune system or need to
have a tooth removed.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem