[Gllug] What's so good about Debian?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Oct 9 12:37:39 UTC 2003

On Thu 09 Oct, FORSTER, David bloviated thus:

> I had to precede it with a './' and still haven't figured out why.

Just like DOS, it needs to be in your PATH to be able to type it
without giving the location.  The ./ is saying "current directory",
i.e., it's equivilent to saying /home/johnsmith/

This will show you what's in your PATH.
echo $PATH

> Anyway... thanks for the advice... I might try and get my hands on a set of
> Debian ISOs and give it a try on a spare 4Gb drive I've got.

If you're very new to Linux, Debian can be, shall we say, daunting.
Perhaps you'd be better off with Knoppix.  It's a CD-based
distribution, meaning it can boot and run without writing anything to
your hard drive.  However you can also install it to hard disk.  It's
got brilliant hardware detection!  Best of all, it's based on Debian
so you can use it as a Debian installer that's better than the default
Debian installer.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "There's no 'I' in 'team'. But then there's no 'I'
  in 'useless smug colleague', either. And there's
  four in 'platitude-quoting  idiot'. Go figure."
- David Brent, "The Office"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk