[Gllug] Traffic monitoring

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Oct 21 07:55:04 UTC 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Wayne wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I have a number of users on a small internal network. I have been asked to produce a list of the amount of traffic users actually use..., any suggestions on how to monitor? Currently all users use squid for web proxy so i could monitor the logs but i would also like to monitor levels of say yahoo messenger use.

There's a program I used to use which produces a pie chart of usage per
protocol.
If you have a switched network, set up the monitoring/sniffing program on
one PC. Then 'port mirror' the port of the router to the monitor PC port.
Of course, you could run a Linuc PC as the router and monitor on that PC,
but I think my suggestion is more elegant and flexible - all you need is
an old PC, and you can tak it offline to update or whatever more easily
than a router.

One program which comes to mind is Etherape, which is not what I'm
thinking of: http://etherape.sourceforge.net/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk