[Gllug] Debian

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Oct 21 07:49:52 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 02:21:05PM -0700, Peter Rutherford wrote:
> I would almost be willing to wager my internal organs
> that Linux
> will not take off until it is as easy to install as
> Windows 95.

This is a particularly stupid argument which shows you know nothing
about the industry. Here's a clue: how many users install Windows 95?
I don't know the answer, but I'd be surprised if it was over 1% of all
the Windows 95 users in the world.

Linux won't become popular (on desktops - it's hugely popular on
servers right now) until commodity systems builders like Dell & HP
stop being threatened implicitly by the MS monopoly, and feel they can
install a lower-cost alternative without losing their license to
Windows.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj