[Gllug] Grrr Computer Upgrading

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 18:05:46 UTC 2003

On Tue 07 Oct, Peter Childs wrote:

> 	Most people don't upgrade their case. Except me I guess. Anyway I did and now
> a few things don't work. Well maybe I should say work relialbly....
>
> 1. The Bios comes up with a strange NMI error. Reading around on the internet
> seams to say some sort of memory error. I/O Parity comes into the error
> message too. Hit escape though and every thing seams fine until.....
>
> 2. Grub. Loads fine no menu however so the computer just loads straght into
> Linux (no bad thing you might say) but then its just not right. I did manage
> to get into my Windows by hmm changing the default in /etc/grub.conf and then
> using knoppix to put it back again. But I would much prefer to get the menu
> back.
>
> 	If anyone has any ideas please say.
> 	I did not do anything to the setup just unplug it and plug it back in in a
> nice new case. I'm thinking now maybe I would have been better to get the new
> motherboard and processor I was trying to put off for another 6 months....
>
> Peter Childs

   I assume that any new memory matches the specifications and is compatible
with existing memory. Try a re-seat of all plug-in components, and check for
misplaced leads. It is easy to mis-plug a cable when there is no moulded
guide. A common problem is the floppy drive cable reversed (pin 1 is not
always in the same position) or 1 row out of position. Watch for a single
flash from the drive LED on power-up.
   You could have a motherboard fault. The connectors, memory holders, etc,
are more massive than the rest of the components so are more difficult to
flow-solder. The resultant dry joints may work for a while but fail later
when moved. I have seen many joints with a gap between the large blob of
solder and the pin, often more obvious using a magnifying glass. The better
manufacturers ensure that no components are old stock, and that soldering
times and temperatures are sufficient. Cracked tracks seem to be less
frequent. Sorting the problem may be more difficult than replacing the
motherboard.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk