[Gllug] Grrr Computer Upgrading

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 19:53:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 19:05, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Tue 07 Oct, Peter Childs wrote:
> >
> > 	Most people don't upgrade their case. Except me I guess. Anyway I did and now
> > a few things don't work. Well maybe I should say work relialbly...

Hmm. My current machine is about to make it's third case....

> > 1. The Bios comes up with a strange NMI error. Reading around on the internet
> > seams to say some sort of memory error. I/O Parity comes into the error
> > message too. Hit escape though and every thing seams fine until.....
>
>    I assume that any new memory matches the specifications and is compatible
> with existing memory. Try a re-seat of all plug-in components, and check for
> misplaced leads.

I'd also suggest unplugging all everything except the memory, video card
and floppy drive, them run memtest86 on it overnight. That'll show up
any problems with your memory subsystem, and it also catches the
majority of motherboard/CPU faults.

>    You could have a motherboard fault.

If you do, bear in mind it could just be a short against the new case,
fixable by just moving things around a bit.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk