[Gllug] Debian

Richard Smith richard at gotworms.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 09:53:26 UTC 2003

Hi Peter,

> 	I used knoppix and then installed it to the harddisk.
> 	Once the system cam up and I tryied to install using apt some
> packages I wanted....

This was probably a bad idea in the long run. Although the Debian
Installer is not as pretty as others out there, it's been tested and
tested and tested on pretty much everything before being released.

If you want to take a look at debian as a serious alternative, I would
suggest re-installing using a debian ISO, either the full ISO, or the
NetInstaller (which is not official yet but works just the same).

Generally I install the base system and then ignore DSelect and TaskSel
opting NOT to use either to add packages since usually at this point I'm
building a Debian server, but if your planning on using it as a desktop,
it's at this point I suggest finding updated packages for your system
and using alternate apt sources to the official ones.

IE if you want debian, there are upto date Debian BackPorts of familiar
packages e.g. KDE.

However, since this sounds like a desktop machine, take a look at the
testing branch and sign yourself up to the spamalicious testing-announce
list. Testing is generally stable... except on a few architectures and
tends to get updated frequently.

Hope this helps a bit...

--
Richard