[Gllug] Debian

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 11:11:17 UTC 2003

David Pashley wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2003 at 10:47, will praised the llamas by saying:
>
>>>	Debian seams really good its just its cast iron rules that put it
>>>down and will never get a biggner using it.
>>
> But debian isn't targetted at a beginner. That is why we have Mandrake.

Maybe, but the Debian installer being as crud as it is definatly raises
the bar.

>>Quite, an example being the shoddy installer.  Yes, it works, but it is
>>(IMHO) leagues behind the RedHat installer or the Mandrake installer
>>*two years ago*[0][1]
>

> But the debian installer is targetted at a different audience. Yes this
> many seem like a lame excuse but the installer is more powerful than the
> Redhat or Mandrake installer. There is a trade off between power and
> ease of use. Debian have gone with power rather than ease of use.

Rubbish, the RedHat installer does the same thing the Debian installer
does, if not more.  Just because the RedHat installer is easy to use
doesn't mean it somehow is less powerful than the debian installer.
Stop making excuses for the relatively poor debian installer.  I like
Debian more than RedHat, but I believe that the Debian installer really
needs work.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk