[Gllug] Debian

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 22:35:42 UTC 2003

Peter Rutherford wrote:

> I would almost be willing to wager my internal organs
> that Linux
> will not take off until it is as easy to install as
> Windows 95.

What do you mean by "take off"? Linux has already taken off in a fairly
big way. At work we are running important services on it - our mail
exchanges and public DNS servers for instance - which I certainly would
not trust to Windows. This is not a tinpot outfit BTW - it is a
multinational company (P&O Nedlloyd, ponl.com[1]).

Personally I find Linux - even Debian - easier to install than any
variety of Windows. You know what you are getting. You do not have to
sacrifice goats to get ethernet cards to work. Functionality is not
random. Etc..

At work we use SuSE and this is trivial to install. Enterprise Server (7
or 8, depending on whether we need any Oracle software they havn't
certified for 8 yet, or hadn't when I installed them) on the servers,
8.1 or 8.2 Pro on our desktops. No problems. Except with said Oracle
software.. And all the problems I have with Oracle have been sorted. For
now.

Regards, Ian

[1] I know the web site is crap. Not my doing, I just point at it:)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk