[Gllug] Debian

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Oct 20 23:18:42 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 02:21:05PM -0700, Peter wrote:
> I would almost be willing to wager my internal organs
> that Linux
> will not take off until it is as easy to install as
> Windows 95.

*Groan* Not that one again.  Firstly, Several of the Linux distributions
are every bit as easy to install as Windows 95.  Secondly, the vast
majority of Windows users never install Windows and wouldn't succeed if
they tried.  Most Windows users encounter a pre-installed version of
Windows and just start using it.

> I picked up RH and Debian CDs at GLLUG, and there
> isn't even a
> "Start here" notice.

If you pick up a Windows 95 CD on its own, it won't have any more help.
If you buy it with a computer or in a box, it'll have a manual.
Amazingly enough, so will a SuSE or Red Hat boxed set.

> But nobody is going to tell you where to begin,

The manual in a boxed set will.  The SuSE manuals in particular are very
good.

> you will
> not find out unless you have already done the job once
> before.

This is the case with any OS.  Many people tend to forget this as they
learned Windows first and so fail to dissociate the Windows learning
process from the general computing learning process.

> If the Linux fraternity want to frighten the Beast of
> Redmond,

1.  Microsoft have already acknowledged Linux as a serious competitor.
2.  I don't care about "frightening" Microsoft, I just want to get my
job done.  If Linux never spreads beyond it's current user base, that'll
still mean I and many other IT workers can get their job done.

> Maybe RH, Debian, Suse et alia should be parachuted
> into the Isle
> of Mull, and not let off until a team of 100 ramdomly
> selected
> newbies can install their products unaided.

Personally, I'd like to parachute everybody who repeats this rant
(having seen it too many times) to some remote island and just leave
them there.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.