[Gllug] OT: AOL mail bounces

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Oct 27 11:22:33 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:36:41AM -0000, Leigh Mason wrote:

> Up until last Friday my email was being delivered to some friends' AOL email
> accounts. All of a sudden my emails are being bounced from AOL.
>
> I use my ISP's smtp server for outgoing mail. Does anyone know whether the
> bounces can be caused by *my* ISP's tinkering?

AOL have made a lot of changes on their mail systems recently, in an
attempt to deal with spam.  Not only have they made some major goofs
with this but they haven't updated the error messages to match, so that
mail rejected as spam is often accompanied by some entirely spurious 5xx
error.  This doesn't help track down errors.

Thankfully, their postmaster team is much more responsive than it used
to be, so complain directly or get your ISP to do it.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk