[Gllug] Recording a RealAudio radio programme...

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Fri Oct 3 09:07:05 UTC 2003

And verily, didst Dylan announce to the hordes:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know how to record a RealAudio stream (or even if it's possible)?
> I want to record a BBC London programme so a friend in Scotland can listen to
> it - but he's on a flaky dialup so can't reliably stream it down himself.
>
> I figure at worst I can jack it across from one machine to another via audio
> lead, but I'd much prefer to make it happen automagic-like!

I've tinkered with that and managed it (for recording bbc7).
It's quite simple if you're using alsa
go into alsamixer, and turn up the volume on the capture device and the aux
device, press space on both of them to select them as capture devices.

Then you can just use /dev/dsp as the audio capture device.

i.e. cat /dev/dsp > london.raw
or use oggenc/whatever other program you want to use to capture it.
The cat method has the disadvantage of not automatically stopping at the end
of the required time, but, you get the idea.

Then you could do a timed record by setting it up as a cron or at job.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk