[Gllug] XP - Linux dual boot

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Oct 3 09:25:21 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:43:07AM +0100, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> > > You should put / (or /boot at least) on a primary partition.
> >
> > Why? Linux is perfectly happy in logical partitions.
>
> Well, perhaps the old advice is no longer needed then...
>
> I think the major difference, although with lilo/grub on the MBR it
> wouldn't matter, is that primaries can be bootable.

Which is something to be aware of.  I prefer to leave the mbr untouched
where possible (or install the mbr package) and mark the boot/root
partition as bootable.  Not only is there no need to trash the mbr but
I've seen Linux installations on some boxes crash on shutdown when the
mbr was overwritten by the bootloader and not crash when it was
restored.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk