[Gllug] Network cable splitters

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 26 15:09:29 UTC 2003

On Sun 26 Oct, Peter Ball wrote:

> On 26 Oct 2003 at 11:22, Dylan wrote:

> > > Hub, switch ?
> >
> > They are two separate subnets running at different speeds.
>
> It doesn't matter as long as they are 10 or 100 (none of this will work at 1000)

   There is no need to run separate networks because individual boxes run at
different speeds, ordinary 10/100 hubs and switches auto-sense the speed of
each box and use a store-and-forward system to link the different speed
boxes. The difference between these hubs and switches is that hubs only have
one speed change link between two busses, switches have one for each
connection and can route the data directly between the boxes without it
appearing at any other connection, although there is very little difference
in price. The choice of connections therefore depends on the number of boxes
at either end of the connection, and whether you need a hub or switch at
each end of the link. I would still run at least two Cat5 cables, even if
one is just a spare.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk