[Gllug] Debian installer and Disks > 137GB

Darren Beale lists at acksys.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 17:16:48 UTC 2003

Hi

I'm putting together a machine with 2 x 200GB IDE drives and cfdisk is
only reporting that the machine has two 137GB disks, searching around I
see that this might be some sort of* hardware limitation although I'm
not sure.

I've made sure that the BIOS on the MoBo (Dell Poweredge 350 server) is
up to date and I've also tried opening a separate console window and
using fdisk to partition the disk instead, with the same issues. I'm not
sure if I should be looking to get a kernel patch, a newer mobo or what.
I've tried all of the install kernels, with bf24 being my default, with
the same results.

On the maxtor site
(http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast3.htm) there is a
util that enables me to partition up to the end of the disk but when I
reboot and try to install debian again, cfdisk barfs and the only option
I have is to clear the partition table and start again.

The only How-to I can find is the large disk howto which is way out of date.

Can anyone give me some further pointers?

Thanks

;D

*yes, this does sound lame

--