[Gllug] Newcomer

Richard Turner richard at disabledliving.org.uk
Fri Oct 31 12:48:59 UTC 2003

> In fact, the advice given to the OP was that SuSE is an excellent
start
> for a newbie and comes bundled with very good manuals if you buy the
> boxed set.  I happily second that (note: Debian user).  Buying a SuSE
> boxed set would be a great start on the way to becoming an informed
user
> and really isn't a big outlay.  It's not at all the same thing as
> wandering into the computer section of Borders and trying to pick one
of
> the many (and almost uniformly useless) "Running Linux"-type manuals.

Yeah, that's fair enough - as I said I've had a look at the 8.2 manuals
and they are very good.  Although it's not a very big outlay though, I'd
have thought it more sensible to try a few distros first to find one
that one prefers and then buy the boxed-set, if you feel that you need
those manuals.  In that case, use distros from magazine cover discs or
(if you have the bandwidth) download ISOs and play first.  This is what
I did and I've found I don't need those boxed-set manuals - I now have
enough knowledge to be able to walk into a book shop and pick out the
manuals that would suit me better than those boxed-set ones.

My point really is that the SuSE manuals, whilst very good, have a lot
of information (particularly newbie info) that's specific to SuSE
(surprise!).  You may not consider £60 or whatever it is to be much of
an outlay, but if you've bought SuSE and your manuals, decide that you'd
like to try Mandrake and then decide that you prefer Mandrake, much of
the value of those manuals is gone for you.

All credit to the authors of those manuals - they're very good - but I
just wanted to point-out that you can do just as well without having to
pay any money at all, even if the alternative isn't a big outlay.

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk