[Gllug] Fwd: IT Week needs your expert opinion

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Oct 16 12:59:14 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:54:34PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> > * register your samba with the local domain controller/...
>
> Don't know about this one.
>
> Another posting suggests this isn't necessary.

It isn't.  Am I right in thinking you are running a simple workgroup,
with no domain controller?  In that case, it isn't possible, let alone
necessary.

> I admit I thought that
> these things were supposed to just "work themselves out", using
> broadcasts and elections to select a master browser.

NetBIOS browsing isn't terribly reliable in workgroups (as opposed to
domains), even when all the boxes are running Windows.  There are
several possible solutions:

1.  Set "lm announce" to yes on one or two boxes (if you have one box
that is always up, that's all you need).  This will make the rest of the
samba boxes (which should default to "lm announce = auto2) do lm
broadcasts.  Your network will become a little noiser but your windows
box should find it easier to see whats on the local subnet.

2.  Turn on lm announce on the Windows box (if this is possible under
Win2K).  That has the benefit that the extra noise will only be
generated when the Windows box is on.

3.  Pick a box on the network and give it an OS level that guarantees it
becomes the local browsemaster (this can be combined with 1 or 2).

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk