[Gllug] OT: Health on job applications

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 12:10:32 UTC 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Ben Whyte wrote:

> Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> <snip>
> > Are you aware of any medical conditions that may affect your work performance?
> >
> > Please provide details of any absences you have had from your place of
> > employment or study for health reasons in the past 2 years? (continue
> > on a separate sheet if necessary)
> > ===
> >
> > Is it legal for them to ask this?  I mean, this isn't so they can
> > provide special equipment -- that can be ascertained later -- this
> > information could ONLY be used to discriminate against someone who has
> > been sick!
> >
> > I'm going to ignore the question as I don't think they have any right
> > to know anyway.
> >

> They are quite entitled to ask this as it effects your ability to do the
> work that they are paying you for.
>
> They are also checking on your general health.  They do not wish to
> employ people who are likely to have a lot of sick time as it is
> inefficient and not good business practice.
>
> Some companies will ask you to undertake a medical, if they have any
> problems, and any job offer will be subject to a suitable medical report
> being received.
>
> If you ignore the question you will be ignored for the job.  Or asked to
> provide the information.  You are welcome to provide the answers in a
> sealed envelope which would be kept to hr/personnel.
>
> Ben

 I would love it worked also the other way around. Before signing a
contract I would like to know about the financial health of the company,
how much everybody gets, how many crooked directors/fat-cats, what's
the "road-map", why the CIO made one decision and not the other...

 And not the bullshit they tell the shareholders, because at the end of
the day I am putting my economical well being on their hands, and probably
my health.

 I think companies do tend to ask for too much, when they can probably
dismiss you with some stupid excuse whenever they fancy. IE, we need
to buy 2 planes for the CIOs.

 Formi.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk