[Gllug] Linux For Beginners

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 10:34:32 UTC 2003

Doug Winter wrote:

> So, I'm looking for another distro to recommend.  This is for proper
> newbies - people who are intelligent but otherwise completely clue free,
> and generally manualaphobic obviously.

> Thoughts?
>
> Doug.

I've been happy with Mandrake since 8.0. Unlike RedHat it has support for
reading NTFS volumes without installing extra kernel modules, which will
appeal to the dual-boot users. Supermount for the CD-ROM drive also goes a
long way with newbies. I think RedHat also lacks this feature. 9.2 is just
out and is supposed to be even easier to get a default workstation up and
running. Maybe some of your new users would benefit by attending the
installfest on 1st November?

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk