[Gllug] Laptops?

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Oct 29 21:47:03 UTC 2003

Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 08:53:39PM +0000, Rich Walker wrote:
>> http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/jbayko/cpu5.html
>
> Thanks Rich. That's a really interesting page. I hope you don't mind
> if I ask you another question (since you seem to know what you're
> talking about!)

Well, i try...

> The POWER architecture as described appears to be a 32 bit
> architecture. Or at least, the data registers are described as 32
> bit. Then the PowerPC 620 is described as extending the architecture
> to 64 bits. Does this mean that the G4 is a true 64 bit processor?

Good question. Was there a huge Apple marketing campaign on this,
because I'm sure there would have been...

Looking again at the documement cited, the 620 had 64-bits, but the only
part of the design that got re-used was the backside bus (to an offboard
L2 cache).

> What about the OS - do compilers for the Mac have 64 bit 'long', large
> virtual address space, and so on? (The reason I ask is that I'm also
> the proud owner of a Sun Ultra 5, running Debian, but I still haven't
> managed to compile a 64 bit program on this machine. The compiler
> seems to remain resolutely 32 bit, which is disappointing).

I'd expect that they're struggling to deal with this now :->

The results from the Alpha architecture suggest that fully-64-bit code
(long=64 bits, pointers=64-bits) suffers a significant space penalty
which translates into a 5% slowdown. Hence most systems use 32-bit pointers
unless they need all 64-bits of pointer.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk