[Gllug] Laptops?

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Wed Oct 29 21:59:11 UTC 2003

> The POWER4 is a full 64-bit mainframe monster.

I don't think mainframes use the POWER processor but I've just tried to
find something on the Internet and can't so...

> The POWER4 is a monster of a thing. Someone described the key difference
> between IBM's mainframe technology and everyone else's technology as
> "being able to provide pins by the thousand" - and when you consider
> that most CPU's wind up being io-bandwidth-limited, an extra thousand
> pins can be handy...

8MB L2 cache on-chip also helps a bit :-)
Here the redbook for the POWER4:
http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/9445fa5b416f6e32852569ae006bb65f/5c7c7f1e918fc0cd86256a79007bf8b1?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,POWER4

POWER5 is coming soon :-)

Cheers