[Gllug] BBC on Microsoft DRM in new Outlook

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Oct 21 16:25:34 UTC 2003

John Hearns <john.hearns at clustervision.com> writes:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Jason Clifford wrote:
>

>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3205080.stm
>>
>> "Destroying the e-mails completely would create legal trouble, because in
>> the United States deleting e-mails is a federal offence, regarded in a
>> similar light to shredding documents.
>>
> So note to sysadmins (and I know you all do this already):
>
> Make sure you have an effective backup scheme in place.
>
> Keep the tapes in a fireproof safe and/or remove a copy to an offsite
> location.

Best place to put them would be with the old Company Public Liability
Insurance certificates - which you have to keep for 20-30 years...

> Regularly check you can read a random old backup tape.

*shudder*

Oh, and following on from a thread a while ago about RAID-1 and hard
drives:

a couple of years ago we bought 2 IBM DTLA-305040 drives. One was in the
server behind me, the other in Hugo's machine at home.

The /home partition on the server was a 20GB RAID-1 partition, on the
IBM and on another drive (a maxtor).

You'll remember me saying about putting RAID-1 across drives from
*different vendors*?

Both the IBM drives have started failing this week. If we'd used them as
a RAID-1 array, we'd have lost the data. As it was, I had a 20% full
120GB drive (different type of Maxtor) so I just created a 20GB
partition, set it to type fd, and did "raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/hd..."
and so on.

Moral of the story: don't mirror onto identical hardware components!

cheers, Rich.

> Yes, I know this stuff is time consuming when there are fires to fight.
> But its part of the job.

Case to be made for the following: if you don't have time to check the
backups, you have a business case for hiring a PFY...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk