[Gllug] OT: Health on job applications

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Oct 28 10:26:16 UTC 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Doug Winter wrote:

> You are allowed to discriminate using any criteria you like, except for
> a very small number which have been specifically protected (race,
> gender, certain disabilities).

I can't comment on the sickness and absence aspects.
But for the disabilities side of things, see
http://www.disability.gov.uk

This gives information not just on employment, but for service providers
(eg. shops, cafes, bars, offices etc).
So well worth a browse for anyone who comes into contact with the public,
not just employers

This site provides some good summaries of what the DDA act requires.
(except for some broken links... grrr...)

The Act itself is at:  http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1995/1995050.htm

I hate to be argumentative, but "certain disabilities" is not a phrase
used.

"a person has a disability for the purposes of this Act if he has a
physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term
adverse effect on his ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk